Monday, June 13, 2016

Meeting Marilyn Monroe Gail Hennessy #13




1.
you are here, shipped from Chicago
dropped
by crane reassembled from the legs upwards

 
we met in the Bendigo Park
you
tall as a three storey building

 
your skirt in that upward draught
ballooning
a giant meringue of white plaster

 
I used the red buckle on your sandal
to haul
myself onto the plinth you straddled

 
I heard your throaty chuckle
challenging
all those mores of the fifties

 
you were the pin-up girl
our mothers
never wanted us to be

 
we knew you as sex symbol
a commodity
fashioned by Twentieth Century-Fox.

 

 

2.
I am forever tied by memory to you
Marilyn
because on the morning of the day you died

 
nurse told us, a ward of new mums
Marilyn Monroe is dead
about time, one of them announced

 
she was a human being, the nurse
defended
and I, silent, held tight  my newborn son

 
swept by fear and a nameless, useless, protectiveness.

 
Gail Hennessy  2016.

 

2 comments:

  1. You put me right there with you ... especially in that last line, which so speaks to the human condition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very beautiful poem, Gail. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.