Monday, June 13, 2016

Robert Verdon, #172, Doctor's Appointment


appalled by the 
beautiful,
bourgeois, 
convict-hewn church,
frail branchlets meet and pray in a tree —
the chill wind shakes them free,
wild empathy inoculates the atmosphere, slashed to shreds by helicopter blades,
atheists have more in common with God than with this charade, and
I shudder as at the thought of silver paper in the mouth,
while the dirty lake of humanity glisters like wet hair
in the glare of a shamefaced moon,
which hangs around like a nurse on her first ever shift,
and what am I to do now,
and where am I to go,
unable to afford the meanest hovel in the housing bubble,
and it is cold as a mortuary freezer,
as the world turns into a rose cottage, a rainbow’s end, a deadhouse,
as the quality of life is slowly degraded
by the leaches of economic medicine.

5 comments:

  1. "as the world turns into a rose cottage, a rainbow’s end, a dead house"...what a great line/sentiment. Economic rationalism should have been in its death throes by now....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the fit of the title and the poem, a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pleased it 'works' so well! Thanks to all. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.