photo by Dylan Jones at the head of The Snowy River
here rivers
break, break
stony
snowy
flicker
like a desert snake
a shard of
melting ice
car doors open
singing to
the radio
feet on the
dash
drowning is
a gentle way
it hurts
like hell
and then you float
away
the river,
where we fish,
wade, kiss, play
down to the river we drive
down to the river we drive
Taking up the 55 word poem suggestion, with reference to a line from a very moving song, mine is 'The River' by Bruce Springsteen which leaves me weeping every time.

I don't know that song – you make me want to go find it – but the poem is beautiful, economical, evocative. I'm a rivet girl myself, brought up by one, and indeed living most of my life closer to rivers than the sea.
ReplyDeleteOops – *river girl
DeleteI'd love you to listen to it Rosemary and tell me what you think. I heard an interview with him and he said this song was baed on his family. Though v successful, he has stayed based a few streets from where he grew up, which I find interesting.
ReplyDeleteMoving. This is standalone terrific, Sarah. (btw I know somebody who was at high school with him. Nothing bad to say about him.)
ReplyDeleteRiver is something special, lovely poem.
ReplyDeleteYes, beautiful
ReplyDeleteYes, beautiful
ReplyDeleteThank you! I was nervous with the rhymes. But enjoyed making them.
ReplyDelete