Sunday, June 12, 2016

You take me to the River Gail Hennessy #12


you take me to the river
where your mind strokes
my perfect body
where the river tells me
you have always been my lover

 
I want to travel blind
where the sun pours down like honey
I am wearing rags and feathers
eating tea and oranges from China
half crazy and walking on the water.

 
Gail Hennessy  2016

 

 

 In the spirit of Rosemary Nissen-Wade’s #6 and Lisa Brockwell’s #11 poems of 55 words inspired by a popular song. Mine is Leonard Cohen’s ‘Suzanne’ while every line is a take on the poem (which I love)

3 comments:

  1. That might well have been mine too, Gail, as it has very romantic personal associations for me. (Smile.) But I am very happy to read your lovely remix instead, and reminisce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you can go back further on take me to the river. https://books.google.co.nz/books?id=9C7VBQAAQBAJ&pg=PA142&lpg=PA142&dq=%22take+me+to+the+river%22+in+afro+american+spirituality&source=bl&ots=SXtSKdagPA&sig=QX74_vZMfNUW07vHlqfEYJDGZs4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjm_sS3paHNAhXkJ6YKHR82D6IQ6AEIMzAG#v=snippet&q=%22take%20me%20to%20the%20river%22&f=false

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.