Cormorant on Kearney Beach
The cormorant flew right through you.
It pierced your breast and came bursting out the other side
without a single of its oil-less feathers being lost.
The sound of the spinal cord could be heard
twanging with the energy of that bird’s flight,
the dark arrow of its beak, head, neck was urgent -
the need for slipstream to ease the journey
of pot belly and blunt wings was enough
to force a pathway through human thorax.
You could not see it from where you stood
admiring the breakers and the mist.
But I saw it, the instant of its passage,
black against the foam, the haze, your heart.
What a powerful poem. Really packs a punch.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much!
DeleteYes indeed, what Susan saiid. And then it reverberates ... and I want to know what happened next, and what happened previously too ... and then I think maybe I do really; they are contained in the poem ...
ReplyDeleteThank you Rosemary.
Deletethis is wonderful, Emma. I love that it describes a visual effect actually seen. Keenly observed.
ReplyDeleteEvery single line has a power an energy. I keep coming back to the third line - something haunting about those kept oil-less feathers...
ReplyDelete