261
poem
for the mid-autumn festival
thinking of Li Bai
yes you moon
I am addressing you
again!
o lifeless one
dust bucket
nothing-disc
pocked-and-pimply
mildew ear
mouldy heaven stain
yes you
sky snail
crawler
hole-in-the-up-above
flung bone
of the forgotten collision
all this praise of ages
heaped for you
why?
I wish I could explain this obsession
I suppose there is the hide-n-seek thing
now-you-see-me
we only imagine where you go
always emerging, vanishing
from clouds or out of the blue
nevertheless your bright is borrowed
any colour's atmosphere we add
what draws us to this tide of light?
who is it puts the rabbit up there?
surely you're more tortoise?
tonight
you're round as the cake
almost as inedible
you're like a pregnancy come to term
still birth
and try again
nothing daunted
go around again
your skin
is a record of aimless violence
(not that I wish to blame the victim)
though the passivity wears me down
I suppose that's the thing with your apostrophe
people want contraction or possession
and what do they get?
the speechless object hung
you're the piñata
that won't shake out
I have seen the pictures
of the dark side
and it's no more pretty a sight
but that's where the cart's parked I suppose?
eventually one cottons on
this is a one-sided conversation
that old man
he played one
he played knick-knack...
Bahloo – moon man
he keeps three deadly snakes for his pets
alright I'll keep drinking
till there are three of us
who knows, there could be more
let me arrange the cups
for
Semele
for Chang E
for Ta'lab
for
Tecciztecatl
cast of
thousands it turns out
and somebody has to have brewed the stuff
so why not drink to him/her/whomever
but why?
no one hoists a beaker to the stars
the sun does often raise a thirst
we never toast Old King Sol
but you, simple satellite
you drive us wolf-mad
you drag blood tides
we sing by your silvery
we harvest your shine on
you might have been the only moon ever
if we had never looked beyond
now we know you're dime a zillion
any old big rock has one of you
but you're our one-and-only
moon-face
shall we moon you?
(first recorded 66 CE)
in Land-of-the-Long-White
it's whakapohane
this is culture, kids
our moon, nobody else's
this is the reason, is it not
skull companion?
in all the vast of space and time
you show us the dust in the darkness
remind us how near death always is
you've always been
you'll always be our mirror
whether we're looking or not
on nights like this when we peer in

Oh a great ode to the moon! What a lovely series of thoughts and reflections and images!
ReplyDelete