We stand in the garden with the full moon coming on
the pull of it like the one that’s pulling out the leaves
the chirping crickets at dusk the runnels of their voices
and he tells me now, his daughters, the two older ones,
how they are gone with their mother the way that
winter is gone the way that bird that outflew its cage is
gone
gone the safety of their violins the budding chuckle of
their voices.
We watch the younger daughter cavort with mine on green
island
a plantation of weeds pulled up by the sun and the promise
of
more warmth to show flowers to grow seeds to make greenery
and we watch the sun curl light onto the windows of his
house.
His voice doesn’t crack, but he looks down at the fresh
grass
and the flattened weeds and the wire on the gate to keep the
ducks in.
If you took my children I would hunt you down
I would bite off both your ears I would ram a pestle down
your throat
I would come by night and murder your nightmares
I would plant weeds on your gravesite which will be unknown
to the police
If you took my children I would have no qualms I would find
you and throttle
you and feed your gizzards to my dogs I would steal my children from you.
I watch this man as he
looks down
Is this what he dreams? Is this the taught web that cracks
in him?
The night is coming down I take my children home.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.