Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Robert Verdon, #60, Brief Periods of Lucidity



renovating my soul
painting the button of the full moon
with nail polish on this canvas night,
each star a teddy-bear’s eye, each planet a galena chip
…
the holy city is made of cradles and weatherboard
doll’s houses, toy garages of plywood,
bakelite apartments and greasy condensers,
ginger macaroons in the depths of M.O.N.A. and tomb-thumb squibs,
past decades sprouting like radish seeds on
blotting paper, the pluperfect storm had been a boiling wok
on the edge of the world
…
ellipses rule me tonight
like old locomotive lights,
or fluffy tights,
the wheels have affinity with wheels everywhere,
I cannot get it all down,
there never seems to be enough time,
though I have all the time there is,
a sundial, a Rolex watch, a grandfather clock,
a time-exposure of it
…
my memory is like a paisley party shirt washed and washed
yet never quite clean
am I in a nursing home
or am I Prime Minister?
or just at home, in bed on a muggy Monday morning,
unable to wake,
(it’s always Monday in Hell)
a salamander looking for a job as one of ow brave foiries
…
renovating my soul
hapless as a bear playing banjo on an ice-floe
neighbourly as a rye-grass paddock with a mending Berlin Wall
neat as greased squeamishness
thoughtful as a three-ganged capacitor from Time’s Radiola
mnemonic nemesis of sea-green Buicks
heard about at twelve on television
…
and so I renovate
…
…
…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.